What is a water-oriented accessory structure?

A water-oriented accessory structure is a small building or other improvement, except stairways, fences, docks, and retaining walls, that, because of the relationship of its use to public waters, needs to be located closer to public waters than the normal structure setback. Examples include gazebos, screen houses, fish houses, pump houses, and detached decks and patios. 

The regulations on water-oriented accessory structures are the following: 

One water-oriented accessory structure is allowed for each riparian lot or parcel less than 300 feet in width at the ordinary high water level, with one additional water-oriented accessory structure allowed for each additional 300 feet of shoreline on the same lot or parcel. Water-oriented accessory structures must:

1. Not exceed 12 feet in height;

2. Not exceed 120 square feet in area; 

3. Be placed a minimum of ten feet from the ordinary high water level; and

4. Not be placed within the bluff impact zone.

Show All Answers

1. How do I know if my property is within an MRCCA district?
2. When do I need to apply for a permit?
3. What do I need to submit when applying for a permit?
4. What is a primary conservation area (PCA)?
5. How do I know if my property has a primary conservation area (PCA)?
6. What does it mean if a PCA exists on my property?
7. Who is the DNR contact for the City of Champlin?
8. Can I maintain my lawn and landscaping without a permit?
9. What if I want to perform work below the OHWL?
10. What is a water-oriented accessory structure?